Saturday, June 30, 2007

Through Day 18









We're having a great time with Gertrude. She is much happier, content and comfortable than even last year.

One evening, as Gertrude was taking her jacuzzi (she loves those!) she wanted me to wash her hair. Another thing she did not let me do last year. I told her mom loves Gertrude, she says “I love Mom, and I love Pop.” I told her pop loves her, and she says “yes.” She said “I baby” and acted like a baby while I washed her. I think she missed that part of her life, being babyied. It was a sweet time.

Gertude is calling Tena “my seester” a lot. She’ll say “my seester and me hungry” and stuff like that.

Gertrude can get mad easily and she’ll storm off and slam the door then say some things in Latvian for a few seconds. I don’t know if she’s cussing me out or what! She gets over it pretty quick though and we don’t let her get away with it, although she does willingly apologize.

FLORIDA
June 20, 2007

We left for Orlando, spending a few days at Sea World then to Siesta Key. Gertrude with bad cold and fever but left anyway. She got over it pretty quickly once in Florida. Think that Florida sun healed her up. We only spent a couple hours at Sea World the first day, skipped the second, then went the 3rd. She loved Shamu and all the shows but she complained about it being too hot and looked miserable after about an hour each day. She doesn’t have this kind of heat in Latvia and I think it really took it’s toll in FL.

One night Gertrude was crying and we didn’t know why. I asked if she was sad and she said yes. She wouldn’t (or couldn’t) tell me why. It is hard not to be able to talk through some of these things with her and help her through them. Don’t know what is going on in her little head sometimes.

Gertrude's English is getting so good. When we were in Siesta Key, after dinner one night, Gertrude said one of her best sentences yet, correct grammar and all, “I’m not too full for ice cream.” Wow, does she fit in with our family or what??!! Her English is incredible, speaking many sentences and communication is pretty easy.

The girls passed many hours, literally, shelling on the beach. They collected a huge grocery bag full each of shells. They just walked together for hours, then would sit down and dig, then walk some more. They did great, stayed together, showed each other what they found.

On the way home, both girls got very angry with me because I wouldn’t let them get candy at the gas station. Now, of course, they had already gotten some earlier in the trip. Gertrude was relentless saying “please Mom, candy, then today no more candy.” Tena was just as relentless till they finally both got mad. Gertrude in her classic style, just tells me “I’m mad!!” She tells me no chocolate for me. (She says I like chocolate, she’ll say, “mom, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate." Anyway, after she sulked for a couple minutes, she apologized to me and to Scott then told Tena to say I’m sorry, which Tena would not. Finally Gertrude says “and Tena sorry.” She is a little peacemaker just like her dad (Scott) who was the peacemaker in his family.

Tonight, Hope spent the night, (one of Tena’s best friends and friends of Gertrude from last year). They did great and you’d never know Gertrude was pretty new here and didn’t speak the language like they do. They communicated, played, watched a movie. It’s amazing to see how Gertrude just fits right in this year, like she has been here forever. I ask her occasionally if she wants to go back to Latvia. I get an emphatic no. I ask if she wants to stay in America and get an emphatic yes. I told her we want her to stay and that we love her very much. We will probably try to have a little more serious talk with her later before she leaves about adopting her and try to see how she really is feeling. Hard to have any deep conversations though. Even though communication is good, it’s more on a surface level because of the language barrier.

Gertrude loves her "pop." She gets so excited when Scott is home. We pulled up today after being at a friend’s and she sees Scott’s car. She says, “Pop’s home, yeah!!!!!!” all excited. There is a special bond that Tena has with her dad that she doesn't have with me, and I think I see that same kind of thing happening with Gertrude. All in all, having a great time. I can't believe we only have a week and a half left.

Today is a hosting activity, a magic show, then we are taking Ineta the chaperone and the kids and Gertrude's sister to one of those Japanese Hibachi restaurants. Should be a good time.

No comments: