Wednesday, June 13, 2007

She's Back!

Yesterday we picked Gertrude up at the airport. Plane on time (unlike last year!) It was a great homecoming. A few of the families that hosted last summer and have since adopted those kids were there, along with the current host families, so we all had a nice time together sharing stories about our hostings/adoptions while waiting. Also, Gertrude got to see lots of familiar faces when she got here. As soon as I saw Gertrude, I ran to her and hugged her. She hugged me back and I picked her up. She kept holding on to me and just squeezing me over and over. What a wonderful greeting! Then, I hear Tena say, "uh, Mom, some OTHER people would like to say hi." meaning of course herself and Dad. So, they got some good hugs then Gertrude visited with some of her friends that were there. Next, we greeted Gertrude's sister, Agnese, and told her we would see her soon and how happy we are that she is here. After a while of everyone visiting, Gertrude grabbed my hand and started pulling me away. She wanted to go home. So, off we went. On the way home she asked, "you like my sister?" and of course we answered with an emphatic "yes!" So, since then she has been non-stop. She picked up right where she left off last summer, happy and confident, using lots of English and calling us Mom and Pop. Gertrude started unpacking (right after she gave us our wonderful gift of chocolate, a beautiful journal, and decorative towel). Then she jumped on the trampoline with Tena (and me, a little) and then she wanted to swim. She did the same last year, tons of energy, not acting tired at all. She went to bed about 9:00 and she was up at 7:30 a.m. Just like last year, she is immediately on Eastern Standard Time. Amazing...she is a natural for adapting!! She and Tena are best buds again. Also, I was talking with my mom and asked Gertrude if she could say "hi grandma" which she did, then hid behind me. Last year, it wasn't till near the end of her visit when she would finally say a little hello to my mom. She also got to talk to her friend on the phone, Veronika, who is here being hosted from Gertrude's Children's Home.

So day 2 she is going strong still, playing and laughing all the time, getting bored and frustrated running errands, like any typical kid. We did our English lesson and Bible study today which she gladly did, just like she did last summer.

Off to a great start!

No comments: